The Central Maui District includes the central isthmus and the gently to moderately sloping alluvial fans that connect west and east Maui. The isthmus is gently sloping to nearly flat and is covered with alluvium and wind-blown deposits of sand.
It is bounded on the east by the gently sloping to steep western and southwest slopes of Haleakala. The Pacific Ocean bounds it on the north and south. The Haleakala National park is included in the district.
Elevation ranges from sea level to 10,025 feet at the summit of Haleakala.
The major land uses consist of sugarcane, pineapple, and pasture. Most of the lands used for sugarcane is below 1,200 feet. Pineapple is grown at elevations up to 2,400 feet, and pasture is generally below 6,000 feet. Lands above that elevation are generally in Forest Reserve or National Park. The present area of the district is 200,420 acres.
History and Organization
The Central Maui SWCD was organized on May 20, 1957 under authority of Act 191 of the 1947 session of the legislature of the Territory of Hawaii. The Certification of Organization was issued by the Secretary of the Territory of Hawaii on June 6, 1957.
The first district meeting was held on January 22, 1958. The elected officers were Elmer C. Burch, Chairman; and Tome Liggett, Secretary. Other board members were Ian Bowman, H.F. Rice, and Harold S. Haramoto.